Friday, October 28, 2011

Foam Flooring

Now that Shubu Lubu is cruising and getting ready to walk, I thought it would be a good idea to cover our hard terrazzo floors with some foam cushioning. I absolutely abhor the look of the rainbow-alphabet-pop-out tiles that everyone seems to get, so I got to Googling. There are gray and black foam mats available from sites like eWonderworld and We Sell Mats, but the prices with shipping were pretty high. I was looking at $70-100 with shipping for the minimum amount of flooring (enough to create a little play area in the living room, and a foam boundary around the crib in case she finally launches herself out). Even the least-garish of the colored tiles on Amazon (Skip Hop) were insanely expensive. So I started looking in stores. Lo, for the first time in my life, I found a great deal at Babies R Us. 36 square feet of (shudder) alphabet tiles in rainbow colors for $25. Even better, when the cashier rang them up, they had been reduced to $19.99 (and 20% off coupon!). I bought two packages.
In the living room, I was able to make a 4x6 foot pad underneath our area rug without it showing. I'm very pleased with that.
Now you see it...
Now you don't!

HOWEVER, the bedroom is another story. I've moved our Momeni rug to cover some of the alphabet tiles directly in front of the crib. The two side areas are still exposed and hideous. The final insult is that the letter "T" was missing from one of the sets of letters (or magically disappeared upon entering my house; not impossible). So on one side, I am short by one stinking tile. Target had black shag rugs on clearance ($12!), so I picked one up to cover some of the remaining tiles. Even though I don't like the easily picked apart letters, I'm happy to have spent about $90 less than I had originally anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment