Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Costumes on the Cheap!

I don't recall ever having a store-bought Halloween costume. Maybe some of the elements were store-bought, but the bulk of the costume was generally homespun. I know I dressed as Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz several (5? 7?) times, wearing a blue dress and glittery red shoes. My mother once made me a skirt from an old flour sack so I could be the pre-bibbidi-bobbodi Cinderella. I wonder if kids ever even dress as that version of her anymore! As I got older, I remember wearing my karate uniform at least once, and a few low-effort hobo costumes (Grandpa's flannel shirt? Smudge on the cheek? Bindle? Check!).

At any rate, for Shubu's first Halloween, I went classic-for-me with a Wizard of Oz theme. I already owned a blue gingham shirt, and my hair is easily braided. I bought two curly red ribbons from the stationery section of Target to stick to my sneakers, and called it a day!


Shubu's outfit was a little more abstract. She wasn't a character - she was the rainbow! "Where troubles melt like lemon drops..." We already owned the tie-dyed onesie and rainbow-striped Babylegs. I purchased the Nike mary janes on clearance ($5) at Nordstrom Rack.



The only thing I had to make was her tutu. I had fold-over elastic on hand, and picked up a roll of white tulle from Michael's for about $3. I followed this tutorial and in maybe 15 minutes, it was done!



What, is this not how you would test it?
For all of that effort, we had monsoon rains all day and night starting on the 29th. Womp womp. Under flood watch, it seemed like a bad idea to drive to Pembroke Pines to go trick or treating with a friend, so we just walked Marley Toto around the block in the rain. Happy Halloween, y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment