Sunday, November 6, 2011

Tradiiiiiiiiition! (Picture Me Singing that in a Shtetl)

Dinner, A Love Story is one of those blogs that I forget to check in on for a few weeks, then have an awesome marathon session when I get back to it. If I had to classify it, it's a food and meal-centered blog (duh), but the author, Jenny, also shares stories about her family and life. One of her little girls just turned seven, with the most amazing Japanese themed birthday party. Candy sushi? Ninja headbands and tagging games? I was never that cool as a kid.

Something that caught my attention was that they have several traditions surrounding birthdays, including a pass-the-parcel game played at parties, and an annual choosing-of-the-birthday-dinner-restaurant. One of the commenters asked when traditions should be started with kids. This is a question I have been asking myself since I was first pregnant with Shubu. I don't recall growing up with a lot of family traditions, and I'd love to have holiday traditions with my children. I'm also insanely practical, and I know that a lot of what happens in the next year or two won't be remembered. I didn't get Shubu an Easter basket this year (though someone else did), but we did dress up for Halloween, and in themed outfits for St. Patrick's Day and Valentine's Day. We will be spending Christmas at my sister-in-law's house this year, so should I start traditions now, like new jammies opened on Christmas Eve, or a special Christmas book read every night in December, or wait until we are doing it at our home when she is almost two?

I'm also thinking about her first birthday coming up in January. A big birthday bash would obviously be for the benefit of the adults, but I'm not quite curmudgeonly enough to just skip it. I've considered having a small party at our home with just relatives, take-out food, and a little cake (which Allergy Queen won't get to taste). Even that gives me the familiar wedding/baby-shower vibe that smacks of "buy us gifts!" But I'd like to start birthday traditions, and eating your dinner off of the red "You Are Special Today" plate and being spoiled by grandparents is definitely a family tradition.



What traditions do you have in your family? What will you be sharing with, or starting for your children?

No comments:

Post a Comment