Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Fastest Food (that's not fast food)

We all have staple foods that are maybe a little bit different than another mother's pantry. Condiment-wise, we always have sriracha and soy sauce, and recently we bought some sesame oil to bring Asian dishes to the next level of authenticity. There are always eggs in my fridge, and assorted steamed veggies in my freezer. And in my cabinet, Minute Rice's pre-cooked cups of brown rice have become an absolute necessity. 
http://www.minuterice.com/en-us/products/94/MINUTEReadytoServeBrownRice.aspx

Combine those things that are always in my kitchen, and  you've found my go-to "shit, I have to feed them again?" recipe. When everyone's face is melting off at 5:15, and I'm still two blocks from home, this is what I make. 

1. Microwave your frozen veggies (corn, peas, carrots, green beans, broccoli florets... I usually have a bag of mixed veg, or even those mini-bags). Then microwave your rice. 
2. While your microwave is going, heat a couple tablespoons of butter or olive oil. I try to kind of make two wells of oil on opposite sides of a big skillet. Then I can throw my egg(s) on one side and scramble them one well, and make my sauce on the other side. It's okay if they mingle. Go ahead and throw your egg in, and on the other side, stir in a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce, a few drops of sesame oil if you have it, and as much sriracha as the weeniest person in your family can stand. (Optional- a pinch of brown sugar but I usually don't). 
3. When your egg is cooked, dump in the rice and a cup or so of veggies, and stir it allll together. You're done! 
If you are making this on purpose (not because you forgot to make anything else), it's nice to add cubed meat or little shrimp, chopped green onion, red pepper flakes, onions and minced garlic... whatever sounds good. I'm a huge fan of quick-and-easy, and both kids scarf this down.  

No comments:

Post a Comment